Monday, July 18, 2011

Despedida

I think I had one last night, I think it counts since I bought some of the booze though the food was mainly provided by mom (Thanks Ma!). I searched the net for the meaning of the word to see if I understand it correctly since despedida as far as I know is always a party or get together before someone leaves the country.

- n. an organized expression of goodwill at the start of a trip or new venture (courtesy of lexipedia.com)
- from the spanish verb despedir, despedida is past participle. Goodbye, farewell (from wordmagicsoft.com)

Apparently, the word is Spanish (I did not know that but it does have the por que sound to it). I did not find any longer meaning, well I guess there really is no need for a lengthy description as it can be simply put in a mathematical equation similar to this: Despedida = Goodbye + (Family+Close Friends+Dinner+Well Wishers)

Here's the picture when we started...


Photobucket


Now I had to leave the house at around 11:30 PM to get an alcohol donation courtesy of my good friend Dennis (Thanks DC!). When I got back, 5 of them had already left. We started drinking JD (Jack Daniels) which was like drinking gas at first but eventually tasted like, oh well, still gas but tolerable. After JD, I opened Senior Cuervo (Tequila courtesy of my sister, thanks Ate). This is when it gets tougher since my sister and her husband had to leave since Franc and Detdet are already sleepy. This made finishing the tequila quite a tall order, specially when Joseph said he was gonna pee but ended up sleeping LOL. When we finished the cuervo, my good friend Tatang bought in 12 more bottles of beer but I guess JD and SC has taken its toll since we only drank 6 more and ended the despedida. Some of the ending pics below:


Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket


To Jay, thank you for coming in such a short notice. I guess the LIFO (Last In First Out principle) applies to you...


Photobucket


Despedida - a get together with your closest family and friends, wishing you well for your journey. I'm sure I'd be well. After all, my wife is waiting for me, and I will be with her, 3 days from now.

I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment